Jan 28, 2016 8:00:00 AM / by John Duval
Looking for the 2017 HR & Payroll Compliance Calendar? It's right here!
We’re several weeks into the new year, tax season has officially begun, you’re cranking away at your 2016 goals, and you’ve already furnished all your tax forms to your employees—well, maybe.
To help you stay on top of 2016, we put together a calendar highlighting some key dates and deadlines for anyone in Human Resources or Accounting. For more details about the tax forms and dates mentioned, see the IRS Employer’s Tax Calendar and Employer’s Tax Guide.
Friday, January 1- New Year’s Day
Monday, January 18- MLK Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in January 2016
- Tuesday, January 19- Tax Season begins
- Sunday, January 31:
- Deadline for individuals to enroll in a health insurance plan through the marketplace
- Deadline to file Form 941 reporting on Q4 of 2015
Monday, February 15- President’s Day (George Washington’s Birthday)
Important Dates and Deadlines in February 2016
- Monday, February 1- Deadline for employers to furnish Form W-2 to employees and Form 1099 to contractors, vendors, etc
- Tuesday, February 16- Any Form W-4 claiming exemption from withholding for 2015 expire
- Monday, February 29- Deadline to file Forms W-2, W-3, 1099, and 1096 by paper
Friday, March 4, 2016- National Employee Appreciation Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in March 2016
Thursday, March 31, 2016:
- End of Q1, calendar year
- Employers must furnish Form 1095-C to employees. Employers: get 1095-C instructions here. Employees: get more information on what to do with your 1095-C.
- Deadline to file Forms W-2 and 1099 electronically
Important Dates and Deadlines in April 2016
- Monday, April 18- Deadline to submit tax returns
- Washington D. C. celebrates Emancipation Day on Friday, April 15—the traditional tax return deadline—therefore, pushing the deadline to the following Monday.
- Maine and Massachusetts are the exceptions here: these states observe Patriots Day on April 18. The tax return deadline for these states will be Tuesday, April 19.
- Saturday, April 30- Deadline to file Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Tax Return
Monday, May 30- Memorial Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in May 2016
Important Dates and Deadlines in June 2016
Monday, July 4- Independence Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in July 2016
- Sunday, July 31, 2016- Deadline to file Form 941 reporting on Q2
Take a vacation!
Monday, September 5- Labor Day
September 5-9, 2016- National Payroll Week
Important Dates and Deadlines in September 2016
- Friday, September 30, 2016- End of Q3
Monday, October 10- Columbus Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in October 2016
- Saturday, October 1- Enrollment begins for 2017 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace
- Monday, October 17- Tax return deadline for those who filed for an extension
- Monday, October 31, 2016- Deadline to file Form 941 reporting on Q3
Friday, November 11- Veterans Day
Thursday, November 24- Thanksgiving Day
Sunday, December 25- Christmas Day (Observed Monday, December 26)
Important Dates and Deadlines in December 2016
Before Thursday, December 1, 2016- Remind employees to submit a new Form W-4 if withholding allowances have changed or will change in the next year (i.e., change in marital status).
Mark your calendars for a great 2016!
So Many Laws. So Little Time.
Get the HR Laws Cheat Sheet.
Subscribe to the Fuse Blog. Claim your free resources. Get great HR content in your inbox.
- ACA Compliance
- ACA Software
- best practices
- career development
- CARES Act
- Core HR
- employee arbitration
- Employee Benefits
- employee engagement
- Employee Management
- Employee Onboarding
- Employee Payroll
- Financial Services
- hcm software
- hr analytics
- HR Compliance
- hr managers
- HR News
- HR Productivity Series
- HR Roundup
- hr strategy
- HR Tech
- HR Trends
- Human Resources
- Human Resources, Important Information, Latest New
- Human Resources, Latest News,
- Important Information, Latest News,
- Labor Laws
- Latest News,
- Paycheck Protection Loan
- Paycheck Protection Program
- performance management
- Recruiting and Staffing
- Time and Attendance