Dec 17, 2019 10:00:00 AM / by John Duval
For time-strapped HR and payroll managers, every day at work is a juggling act. The mental load of keeping a bunch of open tasks and deadlines straight can be a challenge, and the last thing you need is to miss a crucial deadline.
That’s why we put together our annual HR and payroll compliance calendar: to give you a list of all the important dates and deadlines you need to know to keep your workplace on track. Here’s what you should mark on your calendar for 2020:
2020 HR and Payroll Compliance Calendar: Key Dates for HR and Payroll Managers
Wednesday, January 1: New Year’s Day
Monday, January 20: MLK Day
Important dates and deadlines in January 2020
- Wednesday, January 1: Coverage begins for 2020 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
- Monday, January 27: tax season begins*
- Friday, January 31:
- Deadline to file Form 941 reporting on Q4 of 2019.
- Deadline for employers to furnish Form W-2 to employees and Form 1099 to contractors, vendors, etc., for work performed in 2019. Deadline to file Forms W-2, W-3, 8027, 1099, and 1096 to the appropriate agencies (electronic and paper).
- Deadline to deposit the Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) if owed.
- Deadline to file Form 945 to report any non-payroll federal income tax withheld. If you deposited all taxes when due, you may file by February 10.
*At the time of publishing, the IRS has only released a draft, so the official key dates for tax season are subject to change. Based on key dates in years past, tax season may begin on Monday, January 27, though this has not been confirmed by the IRS. We will update this calendar as soon as the IRS releases an official statement. See the IRS Employer’s Tax Guide from 2019.
Monday, February 17: President’s Day (George Washington’s Birthday)
Important dates and deadlines in February 2020
- Saturday, February 1: OSHA 300 Log (Forms 300 and 300A) must be posted in all non-exempt workplaces from February 1-April 30.
- Saturday, February 15: Forms W-4 claiming exemption from withholding for the previous year expire. Request a new Form W-4 from exempt employees (any employee who claimed exemption from income tax withholding last year).
- Friday, February 28:
Friday, March 6: National Employee Appreciation Day
Important dates and deadlines in March 2020
- Monday, March 2:
- Deadline for electronically reporting OSHA Form 300A data for calendar year 2019.
- Deadline to furnish employees with Form 1095-C. (Employees: get information on what to do with your 1095-C.)
- Deadline to file Form 8027 if filing on paper.
- Monday, March 16: S Corp and partnership tax returns due.
- Tuesday, March 31:
Important dates and deadlines in April 2020
- Wednesday, April 15: Deadline to submit individual tax returns.
- Thursday, April 30: Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Monday, May 25: Memorial Day
Important dates and deadlines in June 2020
Tuesday, June 30: End of Q2, calendar year.
Friday, July 3: Independence Day (observed)
Important dates and deadlines in July 2020
- Friday, July 31: Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Important dates and deadlines in August 2020
Saturday, August 1: Late filing deadline to file forms 1094-C and 1095-C for 2019.
Monday, September 7: Labor Day
Important dates and deadlines in September 2020
- Monday, September 7-Friday, September 11: National Payroll Week.
- Wednesday, September 30: end of Q3, calendar year.
Monday, October 12: Columbus Day and Indigenous People’s Day
Important dates and deadlines in October 2020
- Thursday, October 15: Individual tax return deadline for those who filed for an extension.
- Saturday, October 31: Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Wednesday, November 11: Veterans Day
Thursday, November 26: Thanksgiving Day
Important dates and deadlines in November 2020
Sunday, November 1: Enrollment begins for 2021 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
Friday, December 25: Christmas Day
Important dates and deadlines in December 2020
- Before Tuesday, December 1: Remind employees to submit a new Form W-4 if withholding allowances have changed or will change in the next year (i.e., change in marital status).
- Tuesday, December 15: Open enrollment period ends for 2021 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
Now that you’ve got the most important dates for 2020 on your calendar, it’s time to relax and enjoy the holidays. To stay up to speed about workplace and compliance issues in the new year, make sure you’re subscribed to our HR and payroll blog.
So Many Laws. So Little Time.
Get the HR Laws Cheat Sheet.
Subscribe to the Fuse Blog. Claim your free resources. Get great HR content in your inbox.
- ACA Compliance
- ACA Software
- best practices
- career development
- Core HR
- employee arbitration
- Employee Benefits
- Employee Onboarding
- Financial Services
- hr managers
- HR News
- HR Productivity Series
- HR Roundup
- HR Tech
- HR Trends
- Human Resources
- Human Resources, Important Information, Latest New
- Human Resources, Latest News,
- Important Information, Latest News,
- Labor Laws
- Latest News,
- performance management
- Recruiting and Staffing
- Time and Attendance