Nov 23, 2016 4:51:10 PM / by John Duval
Finally, a compliance calendar for HR and Payroll! If you've ever wondered how to stay on top of everything that goes on in an entire year for Human Resources, this guide is for you. To help you always be a step ahead of 2017, we put together a calendar highlighting some key dates and deadlines for anyone in Human Resources, Benefits, Payroll, or Accounting with important information for reporting and filing, even federal holidays, all in one place.
2017 HR & Payroll Compliance Calendar-Key Dates HR and Payroll Managers Should Know
Monday, January 2- New Year’s Day Observed
Monday, January 16- MLK Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in January 2017
- Sunday, January 1- Coverage begins for 2017 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
- Thursday, January 19- Tax Season begins.
- Friday, January 20, 2017- Inauguration Day.*
- *An employee who works in the District of Columbia, Montgomery, or Prince George's Counties in Maryland, or Arlington or Fairfax Counties in Virginia, or the cities of Alexandria or Fairfax in Virginia, and who is regularly scheduled to perform nonovertime work on Inauguration Day, is entitled to a holiday. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(c).) There is no in-lieu-of holiday for employees who are not regularly scheduled to work on Inauguration Day.
- Tuesday, January 31:
- Deadline for individuals to enroll in a health insurance plan through the Marketplace.
- Deadline to file Form 941 reporting on Q4 of 2017.
Monday, February 20- President’s Day (George Washington’s Birthday)
Important Dates and Deadlines in February 2017
- Wednesday, February 1-
Friday, March 3, 2017- National Employee Appreciation Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in March 2017
- Thursday, March 2- Employers must furnish Form 1095-C to employees. (NOTE: This is an extension for 2017 only given by the IRS in late November 2016. The standard due date is January 31.)
- Employers: get 1095-C instructions here.
- Employees: get more information on what to do with your 1095-C.
- Wednesday. March 15- S Corp and partnership tax returns due.
Friday, March 31, 2017:
- End of Q1, calendar year.
- Deadline to file Forms W-2, W-3, 8027, 1099, 1096, 1094-C, and 1095-C electronically.
Important Dates and Deadlines in April 2017
- Tuesday, April 18- Deadline to submit individual tax returns.
- Traditional tax day, April 15, falls on Saturday in 2017. This would push the deadline to the following Monday. However, Washington D. C. celebrates Emancipation Day on April 16, which will be observed on Monday, April 17, 2017. Therefore, Tax Day is Tuesday, April 18,2017.
- Maine and Massachusetts are the exceptions here: these states observe Patriots Day on April 18. The tax return deadline for these states will be Wednesday, April 19.
- Sunday, April 30- Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Monday, May 29- Memorial Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in June 2017
- Friday, June 30, 2017- End of Q2, calendar year.
Tuesday, July 4- Independence Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in July 2017
- Saturday, July 1, 2017- Deadline for establishments with 250+ employees in industries covered by the OSHA recordkeeping regulation and establishments with 20-249 employees in certain high-risk industries to submit information from their 2016 Form 300A.
- Monday, July 31, 2017- Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Take a vacation!
Monday, September 4- Labor Day
September 4-8, 2017- National Payroll Week.
Important Dates and Deadlines in September 2017
- Saturday, September 30, 2017:
- End of Q3, calendar year.
- Employee Information Report EEO-1 due .
Monday, October 9- Columbus Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in October 2017
- Sunday, October 1- Enrollment begins for 2017 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
- Monday, October 16- Tax return deadline for those who filed for an extension.
- Tuesday, October 31, 2017- Deadline to file Form 941 , employer's quarterly tax return.
Friday, November 10- Veterans Day Observed
Thursday, November 23- Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 25- Christmas Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in December 2017
Before Friday, December 1, 2017- Remind employees to submit a new Form W-4 if withholding allowances have changed or will change in the next year (i.e., change in marital status).
If you want more information about the reporting, filing, and compliance mentioned in this artilce, get updates from the Fuse blog and stay informed about HR and Payroll.
Happy holidays and mark your calendars for a great 2017!
So Many Laws. So Little Time.
Get the HR Laws Cheat Sheet.
Subscribe to the Fuse Blog. Claim your free resources. Get great HR content in your inbox.
- ACA Compliance
- ACA Software
- best practices
- career development
- CARES Act
- Core HR
- employee arbitration
- Employee Benefits
- employee engagement
- Employee Management
- Employee Onboarding
- Employee Payroll
- Financial Services
- hcm software
- hr analytics
- HR Compliance
- hr managers
- HR News
- HR Productivity Series
- HR Roundup
- hr strategy
- HR Tech
- HR Trends
- Human Resources
- Human Resources, Important Information, Latest New
- Human Resources, Latest News,
- Important Information, Latest News,
- Labor Laws
- Latest News,
- Paycheck Protection Loan
- Paycheck Protection Program
- performance management
- Recruiting and Staffing
- Time and Attendance