Nov 28, 2017 12:12:53 PM / by John Duval
It’s that time of year again! Our HR and Payroll calendar has become a favorite among our blog readers, and we’re proud to bring you our latest version for 2018.
This compliance calendar will help HR and Payroll professionals stay a step ahead of 2018. Consider this compliance calendar a guide for key dates and deadlines for anyone in Human Resources, Benefits, Payroll, or Accounting with important information, like reporting and filing deadlines, all in one place. Use this calendar in your office and add in your own internal dates and deadlines to help you manage compliance in the workplace.
For more details about the tax forms and dates mentioned, see the IRS Employer’s Tax Guide. (Editor's Note: this is the 2017 guide; at the time of publishing the IRS had not yet released a guide for 2018.)
2018 HR & Payroll Compliance Calendar
Monday, January 1- New Year’s Day
Monday, January 15- MLK Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in January 2018
- Monday, January 1- Coverage begins for 2018 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
- Monday, January 29- Tax season begins. The IRS will begin accepting both electronic and paper tax returns.
- Wednesday, January 31:
- Deadline to file Form 941 reporting on Q4 of 2017.
- Deadline for employers to furnish Form W-2 to employees and Form 1099 to contractors, vendors, etc., for work performed in 2017.
- Deadline to file Forms W-2, W-3, 8027, 1099, and 1096 to the appropriate agencies (electronic and paper).
- Deadline to furnish employees with Form 1095-C. (Employees: get information on what to do with your 1095-C.) The IRS has granted an automatic 30-day extension on the Form 1095-C deadline: now March 2, 2018.
- Deadline to deposit the Federal Unemployment Tax Rate (FUTA) if owed.
Monday, February 19- President’s Day (George Washington’s Birthday)
Important Dates and Deadlines in February 2018
- Thursday, February 1- OSHA 300 Log (Forms 300 and 300A) must be posted from February 1-April 30.
- February 15- Final day to pay employee bonuses that qualify toward 2017 business taxes.
- Tuesday, February 28- Deadline to file Forms 1094-C and 1095-C by paper.
Friday, March 2, 2017- National Employee Appreciation Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in March 2018
- Friday, March 2- Deadline to furnish employees with Form 1095-C. (Employees: get information on what to do with your 1095-C.) *Under the IRS automatic 30-day extension, no need to apply for this extension.
- Thursday. March 15- S Corp and partnership tax returns due.
- Saturday, March 31-
- End of Q1, calendar year.
- Deadline to submit EEO-1 survey data selected from a payroll period from Q4 of calendar year 2017.
Important Dates and Deadlines in April 2018
- Monday, April 2- Deadline to file Forms 1094-C and 1095-C electronically.
- Tuesday, April 17- Deadline to submit individual tax returns.
- Traditional tax day, April 15, falls on Sunday in 2018. This would traditionally push the deadline to the following Monday. However, Washington D. C. celebrates Emancipation Day on Monday, April 16. Therefore, Tax Day is Tuesday, April 17, 2018.
- Monday, April 30- Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Monday, May 28- Memorial Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in June 2018
- Saturday, June 30- End of Q2, calendar year.
Wednesday, July 4- Independence Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in July 2018
- Sunday, July 1- Deadline for establishments with 250+ employees in industries covered by the OSHA recordkeeping regulation (and establishments with 20-249 employees in certain high-risk industries) to submit information from all 2017 forms: 300A, 300, and 301.
- Tuesday, July 31- Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Take a vacation!
Monday, September 3- Labor Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in September 2018
- Monday, September 3- Friday, September 7, 2018- National Payroll Week.
- Sunday, September 30- End of Q3, calendar year.
Monday, October 8- Columbus Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in October 2018
- Monday, October 15- Individual tax return deadline for those who filed for an extension.
- Wednesday, October 31- Deadline to file Form 941, employer's quarterly tax return.
Monday, November 12- Veterans Day (Observed)
Thursday, November 22- Thanksgiving Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in November 2018
Thursday, November 1- Enrollment begins for 2019 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
Tuesday, December 25- Christmas Day
Important Dates and Deadlines in December 2018
- Before Friday, December 1- Remind employees to submit a new Form W-4 if withholding allowances have changed or will change in the next year (i.e., change in marital status).
- Friday, December 15- Open enrollment period ends for 2019 health insurance plans for individuals through the Marketplace.
If you want more information about the reporting, filing, and compliance mentioned in this article, get updates from the Fuse blog and stay informed about HR and Payroll.
Happy holidays and mark your calendars for a great 2018!
Topics: HR News
So Many Laws. So Little Time.
Get the HR Laws Cheat Sheet.
Subscribe to the Fuse Blog. Claim your free resources. Get great HR content in your inbox.
- ACA Compliance
- ACA Software
- best practices
- career development
- CARES Act
- Core HR
- employee arbitration
- Employee Benefits
- Employee Onboarding
- Financial Services
- hcm software
- hr managers
- HR News
- HR Productivity Series
- HR Roundup
- hr strategy
- HR Tech
- HR Trends
- Human Resources
- Human Resources, Important Information, Latest New
- Human Resources, Latest News,
- Important Information, Latest News,
- Labor Laws
- Latest News,
- Paycheck Protection Loan
- Paycheck Protection Program
- performance management
- Recruiting and Staffing
- Time and Attendance